Saturday, October 24, 2009

Two Viewpoints

I would like to label this post "oh-duh," but my husband has a different take on the story.
Yesterday afternoon a boy about 10 years old came to the door. He asked if I would like to buy some candy and handed me a brochure with Gertrude Hawk products.
What's not to like about chocolate? I cheerfully took the brochure, and as I began looking through it, I asked, "Who are you raising money for?"
His reply...."Gertrude Hawk."
"No, no," I said. This is a fund raiser, and I would like to know who is going to get the money."
"Gertrude Hawk," he said.
"No, all of the money isn't going to Gertrude Hawk. Some of it must be going to some group you belong to. Are you a cub scout?"
"No..."
At this point, I took the order blank from his hand, thinking that it would have the name of the organization on it. I had inquired initially, because knowing who the funds were for might influence the size of my order. But by that point, I was just plain curious. Who sent this kid out without an adequate explanation? I couldn't find the name of the organization anywhere on the order form.
"You're not supposed to look at that," he complained.
I tried again.
"If you are not raising money for some group, there is no reason for me to buy these chocolates from you. There is a Gertrude Hawk store in the mall, and I can just drive up there and buy the chocolates. Why should I buy them from you?"
"Well," he said, "You give me an order, and pay me. I take the money back to school. I pick the chocolates up at school and bring them to you next week."
Ah...finally we were making progress.
"What school do you go to?"
He named the local middle school, and when it came time to write my check, he was very clear on the check being made out to the school.
I told my husband this story with commentary that this is one really dumb kid.
My husband, who is innately more charitable than I am, responded, "Well, there is something to be said for doing what you are told to do, even if you don't understand it."
Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment