Thursday, March 10, 2011

When March Winds Blow

The wind began roaring like a freight train last evening and continued through the night.  This morning we awakened to gray skies, rain, swaying branches and retreating snow.  The combination of rain and wind seems to make the snow disappear rapidly.

On days like this, the background music in my head always begins playing a song I learned in early grade school.
When March winds blow over valley and hill,
You hear them go with a trumpeting shrill,
And you may know springs coming,
When you hear the March winds blow.

I suppose we learned that song for a spring concert.  It has been rumbling around in my head for nearly 60 years now and always bubbles to the surface on a windy day in March giving me hope of the warmth, sunshine and new growth of spring.

It may be a gloomy miserable day, but it is full of promise.

9 comments:

  1. My siblings and I learned that song as part of a school program one of us was involved in - only we learned one song for each month! I don't suppose you were in Tennessee elementary school in the 1960s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...I was in elementary school in New York in the 1950s.

      Delete
    2. Me too! There's a sighing and a crying of the winds at play. Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh. Newburgh, NY mid 50's.

      Delete
  2. I've been reading some of your old blogs - I admire your poetry and your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned this in 1st grade in rural Oklahoma early 1960's. Thanks for giving me the 3rd line !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sitting her listening to March Winds and this song of my childhood rattles through my mind. I can remember snippets of verses like come daffodils.. daffodils are budding, crocus are already out)..
    Can't find it on you tube though.

    Otherchildhood songs are coming like I am forever blowing bubbles. and pooems like Inky Dinky Spider climbing of the rain spout.. And songs like Playmate come out and play with me, climb up my apple tree,slide down my cellar door...

    Then again I am 82 years old

    ReplyDelete
  5. with a trumpeting TRILL,
    They're calling,
    Come hyacinths.
    Come daffodils.
    Hurry and grow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theres a sighing and a crying on a windy day, oo ooh ooh ooh ooh. And the ?? and the chasing of the winds at play, ooh ooh ooh ooh oohThere're calling come hyacinth come daffodil hurry and grow..Their lusty (?) song they so happily shout is high and strong as they whisle about and you may know springs coming when you hear the March winds blow

      Delete
    2. Hillsboro Tennessee 1965, I know that song. When March winds blow over valleys and hills, You hear them go with a trumpeting thrill. They're calling come hyacinth, come daffodil, hurry and grow. The lusty song, They so happily shout, is high and strong, as they whistle about. And you may know spring's coming, When you hear the March winds blow.
      This song takes me back. Precious memory for me too. I love music and love to sing. I sang with church and with trio. Thanks for the memory share. Rita

      Delete