Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Agony of Decisions

Every day of our lives we make decisions. Sometimes we know at the time that the consequences of a particular decision may be far-reaching. Other times we think we are just making some very simple choice, and later discover that the impact was monumental. I suppose one could go stark raving mad if too much time was spent in pondering this dilemma. Or, perhaps, paralysis and inability to make any decision on even the most minor of issues could set in.
Just lately I have found myself involved in, or in some way influencing, decisions relating to three different rather serious family situations.
My brother hit the bottom of the barrel in his life and has needed help turning it around. During the past four weeks, he and I have talked through multiple issues on which a choice needed to be made.
A granddaughter turned eighteen and signed herself out of a residential treatment facility and is now living with her mother for the first time in several years. Anxiety infused phone calls are routine. Sometimes I just listen, other times I caution or encourage. A phone call just after I dozed off last night required a cup of warm milk and a little TV to get me distracted enough to be able to go back to sleep.
My mother-in-law has a serious physical problem and surgery has been suggested, but she is nearly 91. Surgery seems like an insane option.... unless that "what if" happens.
I don't know with certainty that any of the advice I offer is correct. I don't know if some of the help I have extended is really "helpful."
I just keep praying for wisdom and believing God's promise that if anyone lacks wisdom, he can ask for it, and it will not be denied. I do not believe in a God who plays hide and seek with me, and who would delight in watching me make a wrong choice. I believe God is good, and that He loves each of us uniquely. I make choices in that context, prayerfully believing that even if I make a "wrong" turn, God's hands are not tied. He is still capable of accomplishing His purposes. However, I would sure rather be making choices that put me on His side.
Oh, yes...about the up-coming election. Do I vote for the candidate who best represents my views, but who probably can't win, or do I vote for the least objectionable of the remaining options?

1 comment:

  1. Ruthie, Thanks for writing. You always challenge me to think and inspire me to continue to pursue Truth, Himself. -sandy

    ReplyDelete