Saturday, July 9, 2022

Looking for You.

After May eighth, you were not in the apartment in which we lived the past year.  Your clothes were still in the closet.  Your to-do list was on your desk.  Under your laptop, I found the Mother’s Day card you had planned to give me.


I spent five days by your side in a cardiac unit and three days in a hospice.  I held your hand and talked to you.  You did not respond.  I don’t know if you were still there or not.


I went to our home at the retirement community, but you were not there.  It was empty and still.  There is a large stack of never used jigsaw puzzles next to your desk.


I flew north and drove to the city in which we spent most of our married life.


I drove past our former homes, but I didn’t see you.  I knew you had not been there recently as the bushes were not properly trimmed.


I arrived at the cottage, but you weren’t there either.  It was cold one morning, and I had to start the fire in the pot-bellied stove.  You used to get up and start the fire, and then crawl back in bed with me as we snuggled to stay warm.


Your cousin’s wife died, and I went to the memorial service without you.  You were not there to visit with your cousins and reminisce about your childhoods together.


I went to the cemetery where we buried your ashes.  I told myself I was going to think about what type of headstone would be best.  Of course, I thought only of you, even though I know you are not there.


I stood there and wept.  I watered a plant that remains among the dying floral arrangements.


I wept again.


I know you are in heaven and that you are free of pain and problems.


I also know you are not here…not anywhere so that I can see you or talk with you.  You are not out on a run or away on a business trip.  Since meeting you 56 years ago, I have never gone this long without some form of communication with you.


I weep again…

and again.



3 comments:

  1. I read this,....and I wept again. -sy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand Ruthie, I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss. My husband of 56 years passed a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete