Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Why...and yet

Why don’t I hear his footsteps on the stairs,

The rhythm so familiar?

The youthful, lively tempo of his feet,

Denying his age.

 

Why isn’t he walking in the door,

His blue eyes twinkling in amusement?

“Why are you telling people I am gone,

I have passed into another place?”

 

Why doesn’t he wrap me in his arms,

Or plant a kiss on my lips?

Why don’t I feel his warmth,

As we sit on the sofa or lie in bed?

 

I must be having a bad dream.

Surely I will wake up soon.

My heart breaks at this new reality.

At the silence and stillness and emptiness.

 

And yet, I delight in the memory,

That he was once mine and I was his,

That our love was a gift of a gracious God,

And one day we will rejoice together in His presence.


5 comments:

  1. Ruthie that was a beautiful written piece from your heart. I know exactly what you are feeling. Each day you live with the cold hard fact that he isn’t there anymore in person, but he will always live in your heart. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. My family loved Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn’t mean to be anonymous. I am Kay Westcott.☺️

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to gift us in words. Beautiful!
    A West

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said. You were blessed with enduring love. The real thing -- that lasts to eternity. I've always thought that when Dan dies I will be thankful that we knew years of true love. Some never know. I praise God for yours and Bill's example and love dor each other. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Ruth. As tough as this time must be, I can't imagine how difficult it would be if you didn't have the promise of reunion in His presence. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete