Friday, July 29, 2022

Rejoicing Chuckles

Bill and I met in the summer of 1966.  It was on Sunday, July 31st to be specific.  The 31st falls on a Sunday again this year, so memories will flood.  I was only around for about 3 weeks after we met, as I was scheduled to sing at a wedding in Maine and another in Illinois before returning to college in early September.  During that brief time, Bill and I developed a remarkable friendship.  We probed one another’s minds and hearts with intense conversations.  It is noteworthy that this involved no physical contact….no kissing or even handholding.  There was no commitment to a “relationship.”    That being the case, there were no promises of letter writing going forward.


I decided I would not be the first to write.  If there was to be a relationship, he needed to make the first move.  I waited only 2 weeks before receiving a letter from him, in which he admitted that he had first decided not to write, but then changed his mind. It was a sweet and thoughtful letter, and he signed it “Love.”  I knew he was not saying he was “in love,” but that he loved me deeply as a friend.


I responded, and when I heard back after my first letter, he said that he had laughed the whole time as he read it.  He went on to explain that his laughter was not because it was funny, but rather that it caused such delight because of my choice of topics and means of expressing my thoughts, that he experienced “rejoicing chuckles.”


I am thinking about the beginning of our relationship now, because I have been rereading our letters to each other.  In another letter, he signed his name “R. Chuckles.”  I am remembering the delight we both experienced at finding someone with whom we could talk about anything…someone who genuinely cared about our ideas and feelings and who filtered what we said with understanding rather than criticism.


I have “rejoicing chuckles” as I think back on knowing each other for 56 years and being married for 54 of them.  I am so sad that he is gone, but so grateful for the delight of the mutual support we experienced.  No matter what we were facing, we knew we could rely on each other.


 I can laugh through my tears, and those are rejoicing chuckles.



4 comments:

  1. Ruth this is so beautifully written. You guys are soulmates! Thank you for your encouragement, inspiration and reminder for my own marriage. Hugs to you Grandma Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very special to enter here what happened in 1966. I'm very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet memory to share with us. I know you miss him terribly. Keep writing, you are truly talented.

    ReplyDelete