Monday, October 12, 2009

The Miracle of Healing

Last week I cut my right index finger while cleaning out a can for recycling. (As an aside, do you ever wonder if recycling is worth it given the use of water and risk of injury?)
In any event, the cut was a nasty thing, because there were actually two slices and the chunk of flesh between them fell out. So, I had this rectangular hole which bled profusely through multiple bandaids until I spent a couple of hours holding my finger in the air as though I was practicing to sing the old Sunday School song "This Little Light of Mine."
For a couple of days, I had to first put on a non-stick gauze and then a thicker gauze over it, and then add a layer of tape tightly wrapped. Now I am down to a simple bandaid to protect it during the day, and I leave it open to the air at night.
I'm thinking how amazing this is, and how we take it for granted. By a complex biochemical mechanism, clotting occurs. A scab is constructed and cells divide and gradually fill in the gap. We don't have to give it any thought. I have gone about my daily routine with only some minor inconvenience while this process has automatically taken place.
If this healing was instantaneous, we would call is a miracle. But, isn't it a miracle even if it happens slowly and on a small scale...like a finger...as opposed to a large scale like a major wound or surgical incision?
I don't understand anyone who doesn't believe in an intelligent being having thought this all out. It makes me sick that atheists smirk at the lack of intelligence in those of us who have the audacity to believe in a "Creative Director." I think it is just plain stupid and totally illogical to think that this evolved without being directed by someone with extraordinary intelligence.
Years ago, I remember reading an article (I can't remember if it was in Smithsonian or Scientific American) which was written from an atheistic evolutionary perspective. The author, actually commented that "Mother Nature" had directed the evolution. HA! Everyone knows that Mother Nature is a myth. He apparently just couldn't resist the notion that it was planned. I'm surprised an editor didn't catch that.
I can't resist the notion that my finger didn't heal by an accidental mechanism. All of the components came into play at the correct time, because someone figured it out. That is, of course, only one of millions of "miracles" that happen everywhere in the universe, every day of time.
Kudos to the "Creative Director." Applause! Applause!

No comments:

Post a Comment