Wednesday, May 6, 2009

African Violets

I do not have a good history with African violets. Several times in my life, I have been given an African Violet with lovely blossoms. Under my care, those blossoms have run their normal course, but the plant has never blossomed again.
Last June my sister-in-law brought my husband and me an exquisite basket of African violets for our 40th anniversary. The basket contained 5 different varieties of violets in full bloom. I simultaneously experienced delight and a sinking sensation.
"Oh, yes, they are gorgeous!"
"Oh, no, how will I keep them alive!"
I told my sister-in-law that I have a lousy history in violet horticulture. I have tried in the past to water them appropriately, being careful not to get water on the leaves, and to place them where they get light, but not direct rays of the sun. But, I never see another blossom after the intial ones fall off. She said, "Oh, well, they will last at least as long as a cut flower arrangement."
I did enjoy the blossoms, while they lasted. Then for months only greenery was evident. I watered them somewhat infrequently, and I did NOT talk to the plants and "pat their little leaves." I had an aunt who had beautiful African violets who claimed that was the secret.
Wonder of wonders, this time benign neglect worked!
A week ago delicate purple and white blossoms appeared on one of the five plants. A couple of days ago a second plant showed signs of developing stems with blossoms on the ends. I can't tell what color they are going to be yet, but I am excited.
After 40 years, the miracle is happening.
I can think of some other miracles for which I have been waiting for decades. Sigh. Perhaps, I should wait more hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment