Friday, May 29, 2009

Across the Street

I am sitting in a hotel in Louisville, Kentucky, adjacent to a medical complex.  From my room on the third floor, I can see a short distance into the fifth floor of the building across the street.  Large windows the length of the building reveal a row of recliner chairs with an IV pole next to each.   In addition to the chairs, there appears to be one room that is private and has a cot in it.  I am guessing this area of the fifth floor to be a chemotherapy parlor.
A few minutes ago people began arriving and sitting in the chairs.  One man is accompanied by a woman who is sitting in a standard chair which she pulled up right next to the recliner.  I expect that she is holding his hand.  Perhaps this is a first time experience for the man in the chair.  A white coated nurse stood next to him talking at length...probably explaining what was about to happen.
Another man, with no hesitation on his arrival, turned his recliner around to face the window.  I am guessing this is not his first time.  Interesting, that his focus is outward.  I wonder if it will improve the odds of the chemo working.
I don't know any of these people across the street.  I will go about my day today attending a conference, while they allow a toxic substance to flow into their bodies, hoping that it will kill the cancer cells and not them.
I wish them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment