Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Children's Sermon-Getting dirty

Need: a pair of new work gloves and a pair of dirty work gloves.

(Here is what I said....you would need to adapt.)
I just bought this pair of work gloves for my husband. The label is still on, and they are perfectly clean. You can see no work has been done in them. (At this point, someone in the congregation called out a smart remark about my husband not doing any work and me trying to coerce him. I hadn't seen that coming.)
But, I have another pair of work gloves. When my son was a little boy...probably about 5 or 6...he was hanging around while his dad was working. I think they were stacking wood. He came in the house and said to me, "Mom, I need a pair of dirty little work gloves."
I replied, "I can get you a pair of work gloves, but you will need to put the dirt on them yourself."
This reminds me of the Bible verse in Phillipians that tells us "work out your own salvation."
When we accept Christ as our personal Savior, we receive eternal life, and we are set on a course for heaven. We do not get salvation by works...it is by faith in Christ. However, from that point on, we are supposed to be doing God's work in the world. We are responsible for putting the dirt on our own gloves.
The brand new work gloves are just like all the others on the rack at the store. The "dirty little work gloves" are special and one of a kind. Someone has lived life in them, done work in them. They have personality.
Each day of our lives, we should be asking God how He wants us to get our hands dirty that day. What work does He want us to do. That is how we "work out our own salvation." God didn't save us and put Jesus in our hearts, so that we could sit back and cruise into heaven. He has a job for each of us, and we need to discover for ourselves what that job is.
So go out and get your work gloves dirty!

No comments:

Post a Comment