Friday, April 22, 2016

Fallen Sparrow

I worked in the backyard today, doing some raking and spring clean-up.  We have three large cedar trees in the yard, and in an attempt to keep the lower branches from being eaten during the winter by the local deer, we put wire fencing around them in the fall and remove it in the spring.  My husband is currently out of town and hasn’t had a chance to remove the wire fencing yet, so I could only rake up to the fencing.  I couldn’t get under the trees.

As I raked near one of the cedars, something caught my eye, and I examined it more closely.  The wire fencing was more than long enough to go around one of the trees, so my husband had left the extra fencing on end and coiled up inside the fencing that encircled the tree.  I saw the body of a tiny sparrow stuck in that tube of wire fence.  The poor little thing was long dead.  If it had been alive, I suppose I would have tried to figure out how to get it out of there.  Although, putting the fencing up and taking it down is not a task I have ever tried to do.

I felt sad to think that the sparrow had probably died slowly, trapped, unable to free itself.  Of course, it was only a little sparrow, but…..

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of Your Father.  Matthew 10:29

I did not see the struggle of that sparrow.  But, God did.

Matthew 10:30-31 goes on to say…And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don’t be afraid, you are worth more than many sparrows.

It is not possible for the human mind to comprehend the mind of God.  I suppose that is one reason atheists believe he isn’t there.  How can a mind be so large that it encompasses the universe, sees every sparrow that falls, and knows when we brush our hair and a few pieces come out in the process?  If he knows that trivia, he certainly knows about events in the political scene, is aware of the disasters that befall groups of people, and sees our personal joys and sorrows.

Some people refuse to believe this.

Some believe it and are angry with God for allowing the bad things that happen….although, they don’t necessarily thank him for the good.


I want to be among those who are grateful and in absolute awe.


No comments:

Post a Comment