Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Response to The God Delusion-chapter 8

Evidently, many of Dawkins fellow atheists are of the live-and-let-live persuasion and don’t understand Dawkins’ hostility toward religion.  He claims he is motivated by concern for us poor uninformed folks who are missing so much. “My passion is increased when I think about how much the poor fundamentalists, and those whom they influence, are missing.”  I suspect there is something more behind his apparent rage than altruistic care for others.

He takes on what he sees as the “dark side” of absolutism.  I certainly agree that it has a dark side.  When the beliefs of any one religious group are forcefully imposed on others, things can get nasty.  He particularly cites blasphemy, homosexuality and abortion as areas where religious fundamentalists go to extremes trying to impose their perspective.  Personally, blasphemy makes me cringe. (I've done a lot of cringing while reading this book.)  Homosexuality causes me conflicted feelings as I believe it is a “sin” to practice it, but I have sympathy for those whose inclinations are in that direction.  Abortion breaks my heart.  It is a horrific means of birth control and shows a disrespect for life, but I stop short of calling it murder.

As members of a society, we have an obligation to move things in the direction of what we believe is “right” and in the best interests of society as a whole.  Those of us who believe in the God of the Bible are obviously going to disagree with those who don’t on those issues.  That is why we have discussions and get to vote on issues.  I certainly do not support the idea of killing abortion doctors and bombing abortion clinics.  

In his discussion on abortion, Dawkins does give some misinformation.  He states, “I wonder what these people would say if they knew that the majority of conceived embryos spontaneously abort anyway.  It is probably best seen as a kind of natural ‘quality control.’”  I have searched and cannot find any reliable source that says the “majority” abort spontaneously.  Sources often say between 10 and 30 percent.  Last I knew, a majority meant over 50 percent.

Dawkins discusses the idea of “slippery slopes.”  I think he is on a “slippery slope” himself in his belief that all life is a continuity.  Because he is a naturalist and an evolutionist, man is a more highly developed animal whose life has no greater intrinsic worth than that of any other animal.  This has some scary implications.  Those of us who believe that man was specifically made in the image of God attach greater value to human life.  “The evolutionary point is very simple.  The humanness of an embryo’s cells cannot confer upon it any absolutely discontinuous moral status.  It cannot, because of our evolutionary continuity with chimpanzees and, more distantly, with every species on the planet.”  Interesting.  Carried to what I see as a ridiculous, but not totally illogical extension, I wonder if we should stop taking antibiotics, because bacteria have as much right to live as humans do.

Dawkins believes that “the take-home message is that we should blame religion itself, not religious extremism…”  I suppose this is true of some religions…the Kool-Aid drinking cult of Jim Jones comes to mind.  But, Dawkins is making a sweeping generalization regarding all religions, and I cannot accept that.  He has gone back and forth between Christianity (of all varieties) and Islam throughout this book, making them all equal.  If he really wanted to deal with “the God delusion” appropriately and fairly, he would not lump all religions together. Not all religions have the same concept of God and therefore, do not manifest themselves in the same way.


Dawkins has created a horrible, sticky, tangled mass of vitriol, rather than a clear-headed argument.


No comments:

Post a Comment