Thursday, September 9, 2021

Schadenfreude

I read the word schadenfreude today, and I have been pondering it.


I take absolutely no pleasure in the pain of others…even those who have made poor decisions that have led to their troubles, or those who have harmed me in the past.  I would not consider gleefully dancing on anyone’s grave.  It would be more likely that I would stand next to it and weep.  I cringe as I watch some make ruin of their lives.  Sometimes I want to stand by the side of the road and scream, “the bridge is out ahead!”  But usually, I am ignored as people I know and love speed by with pedal to the metal.


I know that what I see as right may not be RIGHT.  I know there are differences of opinion, and plenty of room for alternative choices in life.  But, as an old lady who has been around the block a few times, I can often spot trouble before it actually happens.  The degree to which I am correct in my assessment of situations is a bit scary…even to me.  Sometimes I “know” things I don’t really want to know, because I can’t do anything about the situations anyway.


There are current social and political issues about which I have opinions.  Other intelligent and morally upright people may disagree with some of those opinions.  Only time will tell whose perspective is closest to truth.  Sometimes I would really rather be wrong.  If it turns out I am right, there will be grief rather than schadenfreude!



No comments:

Post a Comment