Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Thoughts in the Night

 

Yesterday I read an article in Time magazine about research that is being done regarding what the brain does at night while we sleep.  This is a topic I find quite fascinating, as I am aware that my brain seems to be very busy at night.  It is not unusual for me to wake up with an idea for a poem, as though my brain has been working on assembling ideas while I slept.

Over the past 3-4 weeks, I have been working on a short story.  I think I have decided not to try and get it published, but rather to just post it on https://ruthchapin.com where I have some other short stories posted.  The current story still needs some editing, but I am also struggling with what to use for a title.  I asked a friend to read it and see if she could come up with a title.  She did come up with three possibilities depending on what I perceive as my audience.

Well…what is my audience?  I’m not sure.  Any one of her ideas would require some rewriting…for example introducing a certain idea earlier in the story or expanding on an idea from the story.  Not being able to make a decision, I decided to put it on the back burner for a few days.

Last night, I woke up at 3:30 AM with a single word in my mind.  It was a word neither she nor I had thought of in connection with the story, but which would have a double meaning in the story.  It would take minimal rewriting to make it a logical title.  I haven’t decided yet if I will use it, but it fascinates me that some portion of my brain thinks it’s a great idea.

It is as though part of my brain came up with the notion and then shook the other part of my brain awake.

“Hey, hey!  Wake up!  I’ve got this great idea.  How can you sleep when I have something to tell you?”

“Uh…duh…can’t thish wait to mmmmmorninnnnn….zzzzz”

“No!  Of course not, you’ll forget it if I don’t have your full attention.”

“Sigh…do I have to write it down?  Can’t you remind me in the morning?”

I didn’t write it down, but I did remember it in the morning.  I hope that part of my brain is pleased with itself.  Otherwise, who knows what will happen tonight?


No comments:

Post a Comment