Friday, September 4, 2020

The Shroud

 On this mountain he will destroy the shroud that enfolds all peoples, the sheet that covers all nations, he will swallow up death forever.  The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces...Isaiah 25:7,8

I can see it coming slowly closer.  It drifts toward me.  Sometimes its movement is barely perceptible; other times it seems to descend rapidly.  I know that one day this black sheet will cover and entangle me.  It will impede my movements.  I will not be able to reach out toward my family and friends, because it will bind me.  It will muffle my cries and laughter and whispers and songs, so that no one else can hear them.

The shroud is enormous and all encompassing.  I realize that it will not only envelope me, but all those that I love.  They too will be wrapped and bound in its folds.  I want to protect them, but I do not even know how to save myself from its steady descent toward me.

My mind and soul are filled with dark and depressing images. Is there no help?  I weep in despair and cry out for someone to intercede and stop the inevitable.

But what is this?  By a miracle I do not understand, the shroud begins to retreat!  It is gathered up, wadded up, and cast away by someone whose face radiates love.  He reaches down and with the sleeve of his own garment wipes the tears from my face.  The fabric of death is gone.  The fabric which covers him is dazzling, brilliant white.  For the first time, I see all things clearly, and I bow before him.



No comments:

Post a Comment