Saturday, October 12, 2019

Adam's Rib



From the dust of the earth
I could have formed her,
As you yourself were made.
But as you slept, I pulled her from your side.

I could have made her
Just like you in texture and form,
But I made her unique,
Unlike you, and yet of you.

You were made of the dirt,
She was artistically fashioned
From living flesh, from sturdy bone,
To be your perfect companion.

If you disrespect or mistreat her,
You dishonor yourself.
You must cherish her, care for her.
 She is my thoughtful gift to you.

When I say, “Cleave and become one flesh,”
I am urging you to be
What you already have been
Since the beginning of time.

Your rib protects your heart,
And so will she formed from a rib.
The union of man and woman,
Is a thing beyond human understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment