Monday, October 15, 2018

Anonymous Gifts


There was a time in my life when I felt poor, and I was relatively poor.  “Poor” is always relative, because you can always find someone worse off than you are yourself.  When I was in high school, I had a friend who bragged that she could go through two weeks without wearing the same outfit twice.  I had 3 sweaters and 3 skirts, some of which could be worn in different combinations, so I could get through a week without re-wearing the exact same outfit.  I had a friend who had just one sweater and one skirt which always looked clean.  I’m not sure how she accomplished that.

My parents had agreed they would pay for me to go to nursing school, but I was on my own after that.  Because nursing students were basically the hospital’s slaves in those old three-year diploma programs, hospital-based programs were inexpensive.  The entire three years cost about the same as a semester of college. 

In addition, my parents sent me $12 a month.  While it is true that $12 was worth more then than it is now, it was still a pittance.  That amount kept me in toilet articles and stockings (There was a time when pantyhose didn’t exist).  I did not have the money for any splurges.  I remember on one occasion being with a group that decided to stop for ice cream, and I had no money for a cone.

One of the amazing encouragements to me at this point in my life was periodically receiving an anonymous gift.  A card…often a “Thinking of You” card…would arrive in my mailbox with a five-dollar bill in it.  The envelope would not have a return address, and the card would not be signed.  The cards were mailed from several different small towns in the area in which I grew up.  While it was very tempting to try and figure out who might be doing this, I had to give up on it.  I talked to my mother about it, and although we could think of some possibilities, I never did know for sure.  No one ever revealed himself/herself as the donor.

Five dollars doesn’t seem like much, but these gifts always seemed to arrive when I was most in need.  It was also a huge encouragement to me that someone was thinking of me.  I suspected it was someone from my church, and that meant they were also praying for me.

Over the years, I have encountered other people who have received anonymous gifts.  I have always suggested that they not expend too much effort in trying to figure out the source.  If someone sends a gift anonymously, they do that for a reason.  It is best for the recipient just to take it as God’s provision for their need.  I’m pretty sure that is the intent of the person sending it.

Be thankful, and “pay it forward” when you can!



No comments:

Post a Comment