Thursday, March 31, 2016

When I go to the Ball Park…

..…I love to watch the people.

*I saw a man with loads of tattoos who was wearing a tank top in order to show them off.  The front of the tank top had the message “Tatooed and Employed.”

*Apparently if you get at least 4 beers, you can get a bucket of ice.  I won’t ever know for sure, because I don’t drink even one beer, much less four.  I can’t stand the smell and figure the taste can’t be much better.

*Two generous applications of sunblock make ones arms so slippery that they skid off the chair armrests.

*Some families go to great lengths to include their special needs family members in baseball outings.  I saw two children with Down’s syndrome.  One of them was a toddler and slept in the mother’s arms most of the time.   That little girl had two older sisters.  I wondered if the couple had a third pregnancy hoping for a son.  Instead of a son, they got a special needs daughter.  I wondered how they were coping with this.  Some people who do fine, but others would struggle.

*I also saw a middle-aged man with cerebral palsy and an elderly man who had had a stroke.  Both came in wheelchairs.  I hope the family of the man who had had a stroke had put some sunblock on him before they came, because he had a very fair complexion and it looked to me like the sun was bothering him.  Both of those families ended up leaving early.

*The person who sang the national anthem was a very young girl….I would guess not as old as ten, and she had an amazing voice for a kid. She sang a cappella, and I thought she had pitched the song too high and was never going to make the top notes, but she did.  She did hit a few clunkers and notes she had to slide in to, but she ended in the same key she started in and was pretty impressive.

*The lemonades were huge….probably 32 ounces.  They cost $6 and a refill in the same cup was $3.  I certainly did not expect to need a refill, but we were sitting in the hot Florida sun, and I drained the cup and got a refill.

*In the same category….as a wimpy northern girl who didn’t have a hat along, I purchased a straw hat in the gift shop, and it was worth every penny of the $25.

*The staff at the Hammond Stadium in Fort Myers is extremely congenial.  We didn’t run in to one cranky person.

*We chatted some with a very pleasant young couple from L.A.  She was originally from Minnesota so she was rooting for the Twins.

*There was a guy behind us quoting Donald Trump.  I wanted to turn around and say that I hoped he didn’t believe everything Donald Trump says, but I refrained.

*Two ladies of my vintage were laughing about a woman a few rows ahead of us who stood up and seemed to be adjusting her undies through her dress.  They said she must not know we were all watching her.  I said that I figured she knew and didn’t care….she thought she would never see any of us again anyway.

*In spite of all of these “people watching” observations, I do know that the Minnesota Twins beat the Boston Red Socks 7 to 4 and that this was the last spring training game.  There were some great plays, and also a mess up by the 3rd base coach who turned a runner back to second believing that a fly ball had been caught….it hadn’t…the ball was caught on a bounce and the runner would have been safe at third. 

*I am not a big baseball fan, but I totally enjoyed myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment