Friday, January 30, 2015

Response to The God Delusion-Chapter 5

This chapter contains so much foolishness that it is hard to know where to begin.  Dawkins is by this point in the book assuming that any reasonable person is convinced of Natural Selection.  Therefore, he must find a reason for religion that is consistent with the principles of Natural Selection.  i.e. “Knowing that we are products of Darwinian evolution, we should ask what pressure or pressures exerted by natural selection originally favoured the impulse to religion.” 

He goes into a description of “anting” in birds.  No one has come up with a verifiable reason why it is advantageous to spread ants on their feathers, but they do it, so it must be advantageous or it wouldn’t have come about by Natural Selection.  Religion is apparently just the same.

The possible reasons he sees for religion are that people are being manipulated by a parasite and it is to the advantage of the parasite, it is of group (though not individual) benefit, it has no genetic benefit but a benefit that mimics genetic benefit.  Also, religion may be similar to the placebo effect.

He gives a preposterous illustration of “good” soldiers marching in front of an on-coming train because their drill sergeant was distracted and forgot to say ‘halt.’  He claims good believers will do the same.  I beg your pardon!  I expect that many soldiers would not march in front of a moving train.  If I was the head of the line, I wouldn’t.  I would feel a sense of responsibility for those following me. I might be willing to march to my death, but not for no apparent reason!  I was once caught outside by some Mormons canvasing our neighborhood.  There was no escaping them as my husband and I were out working on a clubhouse for our kids.  After they talked a long time, they informed me that I wasn’t “very teachable.”  I replied, “I do not go into my own church and swallow whole everything I hear.  Why would I accept everything you are saying?”  We are not all gullible.

Religion may, of course, be due to something else….like a misfiring in the brain.  Huh?  It would seem that a flaw such a misfiring of the brain in so many people would have by this time in human history been eliminated by Natural Selection, even without the help of Dawkins.

In something I see as totally inconsistent with his earlier contention that children don’t know where they stand on such issues, he then talks at length about monism vs dualism, and declares that children are innately dualistic.  That is, they believe in both mind and matter, and that they are distinct from one another.  The monist believes that “mind is a manifestation of matter.”  “….children are even more likely to be dualists than adults are…..This suggests that a tendency to dualism is built into the brain….and provides a natural predisposition to embrace religion.”  Again, it seems strange that he would put such an argument forth.  If religion is bad, why hasn’t Natural Selection eliminated this tendency in the brain, which after all, in the view of the naturalist, is merely an extension of matter?  Interestingly, Christ Himself said, I tell you the truth anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it. Luke 18:17

Dawkins spends considerable time discussing memes and how they are passed on.  Eventually he gets to his point that religion may contain memes which have survival value.  Religion may survive, because people are indoctrinated with these meme which themselves have survival value.  One of these which he cites is, “There are some weird things…that we are not meant to understand.  Don’t even try to understand one of these, for the attempt might destroy it.  Learn to gain fulfilment in calling it a mystery.”  I certainly believe there are things we as finite beings are unable to understand, but the notion that the attempt to understand them will destroy them is ludicrous.  Truth cannot be destroyed by our feeble attempts to understand it.  It may remain a mystery to us, but we won’t destroy it…..we won’t even destroy our appreciation for it, which may even be enhanced by its elusiveness.


One of the problems with this whole chapter is that it focuses on “religion.”  As a Christian I am not interested in “religion.”  What I am interested in is a “relationship” with God that is made possible through the sacrifice of Christ.  And yes, that is a mystery!  I have spent my life exploring it, asking questions about it, seeking truth.  I don’t fully understand it, but I delight in it.  The Almighty Creator of the universe loves me!  He also loves Richard Dawkins, who hasn’t figured it out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment