Thursday, January 29, 2015

Response to The God Delusion-chapter 4

I was actually looking forward to Chapter four, because Dawkins kept promising that he would show the economy of Natural Selection and that it was not a matter of luck.  I took economy to mean that it was efficient and conserved effort.  Not being a “matter of luck,” I assumed avoided randomness.  I was disappointed.  If the word economy even occurred in chapter four, I missed it.  Certainly, it did not comprise a major part of the discussion.

Dawkins claims to annihilate the concept of Irreducible Complexity in this chapter.  I am not going to attempt to refute this (although I do tend to believe in Irreducible Complexity), because the amount of information he gives is not sufficient for me to be sure of my argument.  I am not criticizing him for this, because to have given a thorough explanation would be beyond the scope of the book.  I have not read the papers he says support his viewpoint.  He is totally within his rights leaving out more detail.  I have done the same in saying that I can’t deal with everything in this blog….in my response to the last chapter, I skipped over his criticism of the scriptures as contradictory and mythological.

I do have some overarching criticisms of this chapter, however.

1.        Why Natural Selection represents economy is never explained.  He does spend a lot of time on why it is consciousness raising, that being a pretty vague concept.  I wonder if he will later in the book get around to explaining the origin of consciousness from a purely naturalistic perspective.

2.       He describes Design by a Creator as leaping from the base of a mountain to the top, while Natural Selection inches up the backside of the mountain step by step.  Since Natural Selection is not a conscious entity, how does it know enough to advance step by step?  Why doesn’t it go in endless circles around the mountain or sit at the bottom making a campfire?  If it is advancing, then every single baby-step has to be advantageous in some way, or the whole notion breaks down.

3.       He never explains why the next step isn’t random or luck of the draw.  Decades ago, I read an article in the Smithsonian, which always espouses an evolutionary viewpoint.  In the article (which I think was about pine cones) the author made reference to the design being directed by Mother Nature.  I chuckled to myself.   Huh?  Anthropomorphizing Mother Nature?  How did that get by the editors?  The author must have subconsciously been thinking that the “evolution” of the pine cone wasn’t random.  Someone was in charge.  Couldn’t be God, so it must be Mother Nature.

4.       While many very complex goals can be achieved by taking one small step at a time, others cannot.  Somewhere along the way there is an impossible step.  For example, given enough time I could walk from my home in upstate New York to New York City, but I could not walk to London, England, no matter how much time I had.  I cannot walk on water….well, short of a miracle occurring.  Breaking things down into very small increments doesn’t always achieve the goal.

5.       He criticizes those who believe in Creation for believing in a God of the gaps.  But he does essentially the same thing with the Anthropic Principle.  If Natural Selection can’t explain some very improbable occurrence, then he throws the Anthropic Principle at it.  Yes…it is unlikely, but we are here, so it must have happened!

6.       He says that if there was a Creator, He would have to be very complex.  I totally agree with that.  However, he seems to believe himself and to think that theologians believe that the “first cause” must be simple.  There may be some theologians who believe that, but certainly not all. 
“To suggest that the original prime mover was complicated enough to indulge in intelligent design, to say nothing of mindreading millions of humans simultaneously, is tantamount to dealing yourself a perfect hand at bridge.”
Exactly!  Dawkins wants us to believe that the unlikely is possible through the Anthropic Principle (we are here so it must have happened), but not believe the unlikeliness of a complex, infinite, omniscient and omnipotent creator.  Believing either looks a lot like FAITH to me.

Dawkins raises the “who designed the Designer?” argument.  Of course, he doesn’t believe what the Bible says, so this won’t convince him, but it is an explanation of why those of us who believe the Bible aren’t concerned with this argument.  God is eternally existent.  Can we really comprehend that?  No…the human mind cannot really wrap itself around either infinity or eternity.  As previously stated, we are stuck in one-dimensional, one-directional time.  But God says that His name is “I Am.”  (Exodus 3:13-14).  No other explanation is needed.  I picture him roaring “I Am!”

By the way, Dawkins can feel free to ask me the questions, he claims aren’t asked in polite society.
Do I believe in miracles?  Yes
Do I believe in the virgin birth?  Yes
Do I believe in the resurrection?  Yes
He claims, regarding educated loyal Christians, that answering these questions, “embarrasses them because their rational minds know it is absurd, so they would much rather not be asked.”
I am educated.  The vast majority of people who know me would say that I am rational.  I am not embarrassed.  I am just willing to admit that there are things that my mind is incapable of comprehending.  Miracles, the virgin birth and the resurrection are not absurd.  They are beyond the capacity of my mind.

I know that Richard Dawkins as a naturalist cannot accept anything that cannot be comprehended with the human mind.
But…

As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:9


No comments:

Post a Comment