Monday, October 3, 2011

Ten Dollars a Pack

One day recently, I was in the checkout lane at a grocery store, when I noticed an unopened pack of cigarettes on the floor.  I picked it up and started to hand it to a clerk, assuming it had fallen off the counter or a display rack.  The woman ahead of me in line turned and said that it was hers.  As I handed her the cigarettes, she said, "Thanks!  At ten dollars a pack, I really appreciate it."


I have no idea what kind of facial expression I was exhibiting, but she studied my face briefly and continued, "I bet it just about killed you to give those to me."


I never managed to formulate a reply.  She turned and continued writing her check.  She was, of course, right in thinking that I was sad to hand her those cigarettes. I had a lot on my mind at that point, but picking up that package snapped my mind into the present, and I felt a twinge of sadness.  Cigarettes are addictive.  People get hooked.  Cigarettes are a huge cause of health problems.  They are an enormous waste of money.  Even though I didn't know the woman, I could feel empathy and sorrow.  I have family members who smoke.  I love them and grieve.  I'm guessing she has family members who love her and wish she could kick the habit too.


I'm still thinking about that very brief encounter.  I wonder if she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment