Friday, January 21, 2011

A Hand in the Darkness

When I first stirred this morning, I changed positions and realized in my sleepiness that my hand had ended up next to my husband's hand.  I put my hand into his and his fingers curled around mine.  I thought that in over 42 years, he has never pushed my hand away or pulled his away....not even in his sleep.  What a comfort...a hand in the darkness.
Several years ago, I wrote the following poem about the ultimate hand.


Reaching


Fragile fingers searching, seeking,
Pat a mother's face,
Soft and pink and trusting.


Hands with urgency caressing,
Lover and beloved,
Passion, all-consuming.


Arms outstretched, embracing,
Joyfully I stand,
Life's winds about me rushing.


Still outstretched, but groping,
Writhing in agony and pain,
For an answer longing.


Through death's drape reaching,
To grasp You on the other side,
Reflecting and wondering.


Searching, caressing, stretching,
Was it not You all along
For whom I was seeking?


You for whom I long when in pain,
Whom I embrace in joy,
By whom I am consumed
In whom I trust,
My Lord,
My God.
It is You for whom I reach.!




No comments:

Post a Comment