Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Joys of Being Forgetful

Tonight for supper we had breaded pork chops, baked red potatoes and yellow beans.  I thought that the mixed berry applesauce I happened to have on hand would complement this nicely.
My husband looked at it and said, "Is this applesauce?"
Then before I had a chance to respond, he tasted it and said, "Oooo...that's good."
About 5 weeks ago, I also served this type of applesauce.  On that occasion, my husband said, "Is this applesauce?  Oooo...that's good."
He has no recollection of this prior and identical conversation.  When I attempted to remind him, he responded, "Well, there's an advantage of being forgetful!  You can be pleasantly surprised twice."
So perhaps I have discovered a test for early dementia.  I will wait five weeks, serve mixed berry applesauce again, and if we have this conversation a third time, I will be genuinely worried.  In the meantime, I will enjoy the fact that his taste buds were delighted with a "new" flavor twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment