Thursday, April 29, 2021

Ode to a Wad of Gum

Last Sunday evening, I found a wad of gum stuck to the arm of the chair in church.  This is a bit surprising as the church is in our retirement community, and there are rarely young people in our church services.  I was amused thinking about how the gum got there and who might have left it behind…someone in their second childhood?


Last evening when I went to prayer meeting, I had intended to take something with me…maybe a kitchen knife…to scrape the gum off, but I forgot.  I decided to use the flat edge of my apartment key, which did work just fine.  Bill went and got a couple of paper towels, one of which was soaked with hand sanitizer.  I wrapped up the wad of gum in the dry towel, and cleaned my hands, the key and the arm of the chair with the wet towel.


On the way home, I began to sing in my mind…”Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost over night?”


Then this resulted:


Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the chair arm between Sundays?

Do you wonder where you’ve left it, when you think of it on Mondays?

Did you stick it there because you could not both sing and chew?

Did you think no one would notice even tho’ it was bright blue?

Just why did you stick that wad of gum to the chair?

Well, better that than in some poor old lady’s hair.



No comments:

Post a Comment