Monday, January 22, 2018

Pondering

I ponder the “what ifs” of my life,
The wide range of possibilities,
            A broad spectrum
            From disaster
To spectacular.

I recount the “supposes of my life,
The infinite complexities
            Puzzle pieces,
            Some dovetailing,
Others in hopeless tangle.

I indulge in a dream of “if onlys,”
Those happy coincidences
            That propel one,
            Soaring upward,
To grand success.

I shudder at life’s “near misses,”
Those frightening times.
            When something unspeakable
            Was inches
Or seconds away.

I bow in gratitude to Him,
Whose all-powerful hand
            Has in the maze
            Pointed and pushed
And protected.


I wrote this decades ago, and it was published in a denominational magazine in 1985.  It still expresses my feelings about my life and the course it has taken.


No comments:

Post a Comment