Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Doing What Makes You Happy

Doing what you believe will make you happy is a really bad idea.  You are not able to see into the future.  You do not know if you are making the right career choice, the right choice of a significant other, the right decision regarding a place to live or anything else really.  You have no idea what forces will be set in motion by your decisions.

I hear people say they must do a certain thing because it will make them happy.  How on earth can they know this?  I have been around to witness some of the outcomes of decisions made in this way, and some have brought terrible grief and long-lasting trouble.

I have watched people decide that a certain thing would be to their benefit, and then try to manipulate events to bring about the desired outcome.  They push and pull and struggle and make bad choices, in order to bring about some result, and then find it an empty and sickening victory.

I am not advocating that you, therefore, live a passive life avoiding decisions.  What I am advocating is that you start seeking advice from someone who knows the future.  I am not talking about a crystal-ball gazer or palm reader.

Isaiah 42:8-9 says, I am the Lord, that is my name!  I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols.  See, the former things have taken place and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you.

God is claiming that he is all-knowing.  He sees the future and if he chooses, he can announce it ahead of time.  He does not always, in fact, rarely reveals the future to us.  But he also says, Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” (Isaiah 30:21)

His guidance is available when we humbly stand before him and ask for his help.  This results in much better choices than trying to bring about our own happiness.  We need to trust God and believe in His love for us, so that we are willing to place our lives in His capable hands.  God wants us to experience not just happiness, but genuine joy!

Christ said, If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be completeJohn 15:10,11

Listening to God’s voice and making decisions in that context does not bring soul-crushing restrictions.  He is NOT out to destroy your happiness.  His desire is to fill you with a happiness you can’t begin to understand until you experience it.

I know you don’t believe it.  I know you don’t want to leave your chosen path.  But…it won’t make you happy.  I see misery ahead.

And if you think I wrote this for you, I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment