Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Appointment in the Produce Department

I got myself ready for the day in pretty leisurely fashion this morning.  I spent quite a bit of time sitting and staring into space pondering my current existence and what may be coming in the next decade.  What am I supposed to be doing with the rest of my life?  Do we stay here or move to a senior community?  Do I keep trying to write?  How many rejections do I tolerate before I decide I have no potential as a writer?  Should I involve myself in something more in the community?  I don’t want to waste my remaining years on myself.  I would like to do something productive that is helpful to others.  I want to fit into God’s plan for me.

Part of this reverie occurred while I was in the tub.  As the water got cold, I came around to the fact that I had probably spent too much time in this lollygagging, and needed to commence with life.  I scolded myself a bit for wasting time.

Eventually I headed for the grocery store.  After passing the specials on the way in, I went to the produce department, and there, in a case of split second timing, I ran into the reason why my life was timed the way it was this morning.  A dear friend was coming toward me with tears in her eyes.  Had I spent more or less time in contemplation this morning, I would not have run into her, and she needed to talk.  She needed someone to listen, to understand, to encourage, to say “I love you, friend.”

I don’t know what I am supposed to do with the next decade….if I have a decade left.  But, I do know I was supposed to be in the produce department at exactly that time.

Last week, I ran into an acquaintance near the gas pumps at a convenience store.  He brought up the political scene and after we chatted for a few minutes, I told him that I was consoled by the fact that God is sovereign.  He said, “You still believe that!!!”  Yes, I do.  I believe that God allows people to come into positions of power and leadership, because it suits His purposes.  We may not understand, but we do not have God’s mind and don’t know His plan for bringing about His kingdom.  He will accomplish His purposes in the world…and He will get me to the “appointments” He has ordained for me. 


God sees the big picture and the smallest of details.


1 comment:

  1. So appreciate your ponderings, observations, and insights. Thank you for taking the time to capture and share them. I was recently contemplating the deep truth of Ecclesiastes 3:11 ' He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.' Your post is another reminder that we are a part of a great plan. Our days are numbered,.....and they are also ordered by God in a way that is both marvelous and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete