Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Study in Contrasts

Today at the ice arena, I couldn't help musing on the contrast between two of my fellow skaters.  Both were there with children I assumed to be their own from the interactions they had with them.


Mother A was probably in her 30s.  Although she was Caucasian, she was dressed in typical Muslim attire.  She wore a dress below the knees with matching loose fitting trousers underneath.  Her head, neck, and every strand of hair were covered with a hijab.  She wore a wool jacket for warmth over her slim frame.


Mother B was probably in her 20s.  She too was Caucasian and dressed in western attire...that would be trash western attire.  She wore blue jeans with numerous holes, one of which was positioned so close to her crotch that a tiny bit of her underwear could be seen.  On top she wore a very tight fitting and low-cut knit shirt which revealed a large percent of her very, VERY, ample bosom.  When she bent over to help her small son skate, she flashed about two-thirds of her double-D boobs.  She was a heavy lady, and there was lots to see...or try to ignore.  The ensemble was not completed by any outerwear....no hat, gloves or jacket.


I am offering no judgment of the women based on observation of their clothing.  I have no knowledge as to the character of either of these women. Did they both intend to make a statement when they pulled their clothes on today?  I wore blue jeans (no holes), a turtleneck sweater for warmth, a zip-up sweatshirt and gloves.  I don't think I was trying to make a statement, but maybe someone was looking at me and saying, "What is that grandmother doing here in blue jeans?"


 An interesting variety of people live in this world, and some of them were skating at the ice arena with me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment