Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Little Slip

When I dressed for church this morning, I decided that since the day was supposed to be warm, I would only wear a half slip under my denim dress.  My first choice slips turned out to be just a bit too long for the dress.  That narrowed the options down to a black half slip with a lovely lace border at the bottom, but some beginning-to-lose-its-snap elastic at the waist.  I thought that shouldn't really matter as there was a bit of stretch still left, and there would be enough friction between the dress and my panty-hose to keep the slip in place.


All was well until after church.  My friend was getting things set up for the beginning of the new children's church season next Sunday.  She needed to move a table downstairs.  There were only a couple of men around, and they were occupied discussing whether they needed to get more paint to spruce up the handicap ramp.  We decided we could carry the table downstairs ourselves.  It took some effort and awkward positioning to make the turn into the stairwell.  Apparently this was too much for the slip.


As we set the table down in the basement, I thought I felt something strange in the vicinity of my ankles.  Uh-huh.  My lovely lacy black slip encircled my feet on the floor.


I dissolved into a fit of giggles which, of course, drew my friend's attention to the situation.  No one else was around, so it wasn't really embarrassing.  I'm just glad it didn't happen when I was standing up front doing the children's sermon, and that it didn't trip me up going down the stairs.


Life is just full of interesting little slips.

No comments:

Post a Comment