Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Confession

I didn't sleep well last night, and I was under no pressure to get to work at a specific time today, so I rolled over. As a result, I was still in bed when my daughter called from Maine. After chatting with her, I talked to her two girls. Maddie (age 3) and I had a brief conversation, but Meri (age 4 1/2) is quite a chatterbox.

Here is a snippet of the conversation:
Meri: What are you going to do today, Grandma?
Me: I am going to go to work, but I guess I need to get out of bed first.
Meri: I had oatmeal and juice for breakfast this morning. What are you going to have for breakfast, Grandma Ruthie.
Me: Oh, Meri. I think I am going to be naughty. I made a rhubarb pie, and I think I will eat a piece for breakfast.
Meri: WHAT!!!???

It isn't possible to relate in text the expression that went into this....or the volume. My husband who was in bed next to me heard this although the phone was nowhere near his ear.
She then turned to her mother and quietly, but disapprovingly, said, "Mommy, Grandma Ruthie is going to eat rhubarb pie for breakfast."
I could hear her mother chuckling. She and I have been known to eat pie for breakfast together.
So...there you have it...my dirty little secret.
I do indeed eat pie for breakfast.
I would never be tempted to eat banana cream or pecan pie for breakfast, but raspberry or rhubarb? Well, that's a different matter entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment