Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Cleaning?

A couple of days ago I was standing outside talking to the neighbor. We were near the back corner of her house, when I saw what appeared to be two bumble bees flying together. And, I do mean flying together....as in, one was carrying the other. They were flying around about 8 feet above the ground, when one of them plummeted to the ground near our feet. It was dead, and clearly had been dead for awhile. The other bee flew up to the eaves of the house and disappeared into a crack.
What I am guessing is that the dead bee had expired over the winter, and in an effort to tidy up the household, the other bee removed the corpse. I guess it makes sense that such a thing could happen, but it certainly was surprising to see it.
Of course, now my neighbor needs to consider that there is probably a bees nest in the eaves of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment