Saturday, September 19, 2009

"Divorce Sale"

On Thursday, I had occasion to drive across the northern portion of New York State, take the ferry across Lake Champlain, and drive across northern Vermont and into New Hampshire. Once I got past the first 40 miles and through the rain showers, the day was sunny with blue skies and fluffy white clouds. There were areas in the Adirondack Mountains where the leaves have started to change colors, so patches of brilliance filled me with wonder.
On my drive, I saw something I have never seen before. A sign posted near the road read, "Divorce Sale....Everything Must Go."
I have seen Rummage Sale, Garage Sale, Yard Sale, Porch Sale, Moving Sale, Estate Sale, and recently for the first time, Basement Sale. I have never before seen Divorce Sale, and it filled me with a different kind of wonder. What depth of pain and/or bitterness would be required to post a sign along the road advertising the end of a marriage? A "Rummage Sale" sign would have done nicely. Why did the person having the sale feel it necessary to broadcast the message that "Everything must go." All the material possession jointly acquired must go, but posting this sign also seems to be an agonizing cry that all of the hope and dreams felt at the beginning of the relationship must go too.
I am so sorry that someone....even though I have no idea who....is suffering.
I am so grateful for over 40 years of a relationship characterized by mutual respect, understanding, helpfulness and affection. I wish I could bottle it. I wouldn't even sell it. I would give it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment