Sunday, September 27, 2009

Am I My Brother's Keeper?

A week ago my brother arrived at my house as we were finishing putting things away from the trip to New Hampshire. After saying that he had a problem and needed help, he said, "You know, I have heard you say that there is a time in life when if your kids don't get you, your parents do. I'm sorry to tell you that it might also be a sibling."
He proceeded to describe a disaster occurring in his life, and he just couldn't think through what to do or where to turn. I don't want to broadcast the specifics of my brother's situation all over the Internet, but it is bad......beyond description bad.
My other brother and I knew his life was in a terrible downward spiral, but he has previously stiff-armed us when we have tried to offer help. I guess he had to get to a point of desperation.
So, he is now living with us until other arrangements can be made, and my husband and I are being consumed with the details of trying to help him put his life back together.
This is not convenient. Some of it is, in fact, quite unpleasant.
My priorities for the next few weeks are totally altered.
We are supposed to have an empty nest.
But, there is just no way that I am going to stand before the Creator and Sustainer of the universe and ask the question, "Am I my brother's keeper?"
I know the answer is 'yes' whether or not it represents my choice of activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment