Thursday, June 11, 2009

Turtle on the Line

Today on the way home, I was cruising along through a rural area at 55 mph plus, when I spied a small object on the yellow line in the middle of the road. There sat a turtle whose shell was about the same diameter as a tea cup. The poor thing appeared to still be alive as the shell was dome shaped...not squashed flat, and there was daylight between its head and the pavement.
I suppose turtles don't experience consternation and/or sheer terror...both of which seemed appropriate.
Perhaps he was thinking, "So...I've made it this far...if I move, the odds of meeting my demise are pretty good, but if I don't move, I'll get it sooner or later too. What to do? What to do? Why, oh why, did I leave that nice muddy ditch?"
I certainly sympathize. I have had times in my life when I felt like a turtle on the yellow line.

No comments:

Post a Comment