Monday, June 22, 2009

Reflections on 41 years of marriage

Today I am celebrating the anniversary of marriage to my wonderful husband. I can't believe it is 41 years already. For the most part, it seems as though the years have flown past. While one is in the midst of a difficult day, it seems interminable. But, when one looks back on the years, they have gone by in a flash.
So here we are 4 kids and 8 grandkids later. We have only lived in two homes, and Bill has only had one job, but life has been full and varied. We have stuck together through wonderful times and absolutely horrible times.
We have had fewer fights than can be counted on the fingers of one hand....lots of debates and discussions...but very very few harsh words. We respect each other, and we each defer to the other in certain areas. He never argues with me about health or education related issues, and I never argue with him about money. That is not to say that we never ask each other quetions about these topics. We use each other as a sounding board when thinking through issues. We always consult each other on decisions which impact the others life.
There are some things about him that drive me crazy, but I expect there are things that I do and say that drive him crazy too.
Even if we have 41 more years together...which I know we won't...it won't be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment