Friday, July 13, 2018

Saying a Whole Lot of Nothing


This morning I followed a link under the category of science and read an article written by an atheist about where to find God.  The writer threw around a whole lot of scientific terminology, but basically said nothing of substance.  It was not science.

I am, therefore, pondering obfuscation, which is the practice of using “big” words like obfuscation to make something difficult to understand.  This technique can be used to impress others or confuse them.  I find this quite annoying.

I know of a brilliant young man who enjoys the challenge of discussing highly complicated and technical matters in such a way that most average folks can have at least some understanding of them.  I have also encountered a young man in a graduate class I took some years ago, whose purpose was quite the opposite.  He would expound at length on some topic under discussion using big (i.e. multisyllabic) words, technical terms and currently in buzz words.  When he finished, most of the class seemed to be in awe of him.  I would be sitting there wondering, “Am I the only person here who realizes he just said absolutely nothing!”

During my working years, I attended a state-wide meeting on universal health care.  After a presentation from “an expert,” I posed a question.  She talked around in circles using all the “right” words.  When she finished, I said quietly to those sitting at my table, “Did she ever answer my question?”  All of the heads shook “no.”  A few minutes later, a rabbi from New York City got up and asked the same question.  She again talked and talked and said nothing of substance.  I wondered how many people in the room actually fell for this.

When you don’t understand what someone is talking about, it is, of course, possible that they are smarter than you, or that you are not familiar with the terminology they are using.  BUT, it is also possible that they don’t know what they are talking about and have just learned the right words to throw out there, or that they are purposely attempting to confuse you because they have an agenda.  A really intelligent person, who cares about his topic, will want you to understand and will make every attempt to communicate on the level of the audience.

Of course, one must have some sympathy for the person who really doesn’t know how to communicate and doesn’t even know he is not connecting with his audience.  I am talking about the brilliant person who lives in his own world.  I had a college professor whose initials were FOG and that is what most of his lectures were…fog.  He didn’t mean to leave us wandering in a cloud of confusion.  I can feel kindly toward him.

But in general, be suspicious of the person who obfuscates!




No comments:

Post a Comment