Sunday, January 1, 2017

Looking for Inspiration

I have a head full of ideas swirling around, and it seems as though some of them should crash into each other and precipitate out into an interesting story worth reading.  But no….

I actually got to this point a few minutes ago, and my cursor disappeared, and I could not type on the page. I had to do a restart. An omen?

In the interest of promoting aforementioned congealing of thoughts, I will list them.

*spending about 18 hours in a roomette on Amtrak has caused me to think very descriptively of the experience beginning with the sensation of being in such a small space that is overall blue in color from the seat cushions to the pleated curtains to the dark, dark blue of the night sky out the window.  I have never taken this ride so soon after Christmas before, and it was enjoyable to see the Christmas lights as we passed through towns and villages along the route.  There ought to be a mystery story set on the train, where so many strangers are in such proximity.

*sitting in the Amtrak terminal, I observe that the majority of the passengers on the auto-train are elderly.  I overheard someone wondering about average age.  I amused myself by trying to picture what various couples might have looked like on their wedding day forty or fifty or more years ago.  What secrets have their lives held?  With so many old folks in one place, is a medical emergency imminent?

*I am currently sitting on the balcony of a condo on Amelia Island.  The noise of the surf, the blue of the sky, the warm breeze of salt air are so very different from the setting I left a couple of days ago.  This is a wonderful spot for an adventure story or a romance.

*There are so many vile comments floating around on the internet about Obama and Trump.  The nation seems divided and itching for anarchy.  Perhaps it is a time to write social commentary.

*Gee….I feel sort of guilty and self-indulgent.  The condo is huge and beautiful….much more space than we need.  Do I deserve this comfort when there is such pain and suffering in the world?  Should I be writing something brooding and introspective?

Maybe I’ll go read a book.  It seems I don’t have the inspiration to write one.


Or perhaps, take a nap….a self-indulgent nap…..

No comments:

Post a Comment