Sunday, January 10, 2016

A Lesson in Giving

The sermon I heard this morning made me think of an experience I had when I was 18 or 19, that has influenced my attitude toward giving throughout my life.

I was really poor when I was in nursing school in the Chicago area.  I barely scraped by on the amount my parents sent me for spending money each month.  My Dad had told me that he would pay for nursing school, and I was on my own after that.  I knew if I wanted to go on to college, I had to earn some money, so when the opportunity came to work as a nursing technician after completing the first year of nursing school, I took it.  I could work on my days off and be paid and begin to save for college.

Obviously, nurses have to work on weekends, including Sundays, and there were many times I was required to work, but I pledged in my own mind and heart not to work on a Sunday if I could avoid it.  I had become active in a church in Oak Park.  I attended the services regularly, sang in the choir and participated in the college and career group.

As I was signing out, after working as a nursing technician one Saturday, the nursing supervisor asked me if I could please work again on Sunday.  She said they were terribly short-staffed and really needed me, if I was available and willing.  I hesitated, thinking of my commitment not to work on Sundays by choice.  But, I had the sense that the Lord was telling me to work and to give him the entire day’s pay.  I agreed to work and pledged within myself to contribute my earnings for that day.

At the time, the church I attended had a bus ministry.  I benefited from that ministry every time I went to church, as our nursing school dormitory was one of the pick-up points on the bus route. The bus needed to be replaced, and a well-to-do man in the church had promised to contribute half of the needed funds, if the other church members could come up with their half first.  I believed the Lord was leading me to contribute my paltry sum to this cause.

I worked that Sunday, and I kept my promise.  I handed the money to the pastor of the church and told him how the Lord had led me to give it.  A week or so later, the pastor contacted me, and said, “I thought you would like to know, that it was your contribution that put us over the half way point and triggered the donation of matching funds.”


That experience has influenced my attitude toward giving for over 50 years now.  If the Lord asks something of you, be quick to give whatever He asks.  You won’t regret it.  He will multiply your gift, and you will feel unbelievably blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment