Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Why Do Chemicals Get Such a Bad Rap?

One of my pet peeves, as a person with a degree in chemistry, is to hear people say that there are “chemicals” in our foods.  Of course there are.  Food is made of chemicals….proteins, carbohydrates and fats ARE chemicals.  Everything in the world is a chemical.  Oxygen in the air is a chemical.  Water is a chemical.  Our own bodies are a whole factory of chemicals reacting with each other constantly.  Chemicals are not inherently bad.

What these people really mean is that there may be potentially harmful man-made chemicals (i.e. not naturally occurring ones) in our foods.  This might include residues of pesticides or fertilizers used during the growing process or additives to preserve color or deter spoilage.  I propose calling these Artificially Created Harmful Substances…because ACHS seems like an appropriately revolting acronym.

However, even regarding ACHS, I cannot jump on the oh-my-goodness-let’s-read-every-label-and-eat-organic bandwagon.  I certainly would not propose a diet consisting entirely of processed meats which are high in nitrates, or drinking only soda which is flavored sugar water, or surviving on TV dinners which are often very high in sodium and fat in addition to various additives.  However, occasionally indulging in such foods should not throw one into a panic that he risking his health.

During the same time period that additives in processed foods have increased, life expectancy in the United States has increased.  My grandparents’ generation ate food off the farm raised naturally and in ways now labeled “organic.”  But, that generations’ life expectancy was considerably shorter than my generation.  The fact that cancer seems more prevalent now, may be nothing more than the natural consequence of people living longer.  The more times a cell divides, the greater the odds that something will go wrong during one of those divisions and rogue cells will develop.  (I am not disputing that some cancers seem clearly linked to harmful chemical exposure, but those are special cases of excessive exposure.)

I would propose all things in moderation.  I do not eat donuts every day, but once in awhile, I do eat one, and I don’t feel guilty.  I do not drink soda every day, but I do drink it on occasion.  I like bacon, hot dogs and salami.  I don’t eat them every day. 

When my mother died at the age of 80, my father (who lived to 90) said bitterly, “She believed in all things in moderation, and look where it got her.” 

I replied, “Yes, look where it got her.  She lived 10 years longer than anyone else in her family.”

My mother had a life-long history of vascular problems:  blood clots in her legs during pregnancies, a pulmonary embolism in her 40s, a heart attack in her 70s and finally the stroke which took her life.  However, her parents died at 65 and 68, and her brothers at 50, 61 and 70.  I think moderation in diet and NOT smoking, plus careful medical care served her well.


Speaking of careful medical care, medications are….gasp….chemicals!


No comments:

Post a Comment