Saturday, March 16, 2013

Boredom and Drama

Human beings seem to require a certain amount of drama in order to stave off boredom.  Some personalities must feed off turmoil throughout their lifetimes.  Others only seem to require it during adolescence.

Those who need endless drama are endlessly difficult to live with.  Teenagers are only temporarily difficult to live with.  For most of them, sanity and clarity do eventually dawn.

During times when drama is necessary, a lack of it results in behaviors which will incite it.  These range from outright brawls to more minor occasions of "needling" or "stirring the pot."

It seems generally true that those who are addicted to turmoil don't recognize their addiction and may even complain about this trait in others.  Having a reason to complain results in conversation which perpetuates it.  Drama is contagious.

Personally, I am almost never bored.  I can always think of some creative project or knotty conundrum to occupy my mind.

BUT

I do also live on the teetering edge of a great swirling vortex of chaos provided for me by family members.  If I weren't exerting so much effort to prevent myself from being sucked in and consumed, maybe I would be bored and in need of creating my own drama.

Am I supposed to be grateful?

No comments:

Post a Comment