Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Music Fell on My Head

When my son was about two years old, he made a startling unsolicited statement.  "You know Mommy, when I was in your tummy, I could not hear your voice, but music fell on my head."

I often sat down at the piano to play and sing during my pregnancy.  I continued to sing in a choir and to sing solos during those months. But, this revelation left me speechless and full of questions.

Could he possibly be remembering something that happened before his birth?
Do all children have pre-birth memories, but most forget them before they are articulate enough to express them?
Was it possible that the vibrations he now knew were associated with music were familiar to him from the womb?

Twenty-six years later, I am still pondering these questions and others.

What happens if what falls on an unborn child's head is loud, angry and profane?
If a child does not have the vocabulary to express the negative vibrations he has experienced, does it come out in behavior?

How I wish that every unborn child felt soothing music fall on his or her head.  Shouldn't every child emerge from the womb having already experienced a lullaby? 


No comments:

Post a Comment