Saturday, May 21, 2011

The End of the World?

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.  No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.  Matthew 24:35-36
Therefore, keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.  Matthew 25:13


Over the past few weeks, there has been considerable hype about the world ending today.  A member of a fringe religious group has predicted the Rapture on May 21 (today), and the world completely ending in October.  He has based his predictions on mathematical calculations which are in turn based on rather arbitrary dates he has come up with for the Flood and the Crucifixion.  He claims that his predictions are based on scripture.  Huh?  Has he never read the verses in Matthew which I have quoted above?


It seems to me that these statements made by Christ and recorded in Matthew are very clear.  It doesn't matter how man applies his knowledge in an attempt to figure this out.  Only God knows!


I can think of dozens of reasons why it would be really fine with me if the Rapture occurred today.  There are lots of unpleasant things I wouldn't have to concern myself with any longer.  That would be rather nice.  Also, I really would like to see all of the wrongs in the world righted.  I am grieved that there is so much hatred and evil in the world. Men seem to be able to come up with an infinite number of ways to be inhumane.  


But....
The Bible is clear that it is our job to be faithful to what God has called us to do without knowing when the final day and hour will come.  We are told to be watchful and always ready.  That makes total sense.  The world may not end for all of us today, but it will end for some.  Some of those who die today will be expecting and, perhaps, even longing for death.  Others will be taken totally by surprise.


I am ready for the world to end today, but I was ready yesterday, and I expect to be ready tomorrow.


Even so, come, Lord Jesus.  Revelation 22:20

No comments:

Post a Comment