Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Confession by John Grisham

I recently finished reading John Grisham’s latest book, The ConfessionIf you haven’t read it yet and don’t want to know too much about the story line before reading it yourself, don’t continue reading this blog!

I will be interested to see how this book is received.  I don’t think Grisham has made any strong statement on a contentious social and political issue in his prior books.   Maybe he has, and I was too taken up in the story itself to notice.  In any event, The Confession makes it pretty clear that he is opposed to the death penalty.

As the story plays out, everything that could go wrong for the defendant in a rape/murder trial, does go wrong.  Police use questionable tactics in interrogating him, the detective is anxious to put the blame for the crime on someone, an acquaintance lies about what he has seen and heard, and the DA is sleeping with the judge whose rulings end up favorable to the prosecution. 

During the appeals phase, what should have been legitimate concerns are brushed off.  As the time comes for the death sentence to be carried out, some possible avenues of rescue develop, but the timing is all wrong.  The accused is executed, and within 24 hours, the proof of his innocence emerges.  At the end of the book, one is left with very negative feelings about the death penalty.  Do we ever dare run the risk of an innocent man being executed?

However, I am wondering if Grisham has played fair.  In the real world, would all of the people with power be scoundrels or unwilling to act?  Would everyone who cared also be someone with no power to change the course of events?  This scenario makes for a great novel.  I couldn’t put the book down.  I wanted to know if the appeal would be heard in time.  But, as commentary on the death penalty, it isn’t a balanced argument. 

Obviously, if Grisham wants to write a biased novel in an attempt to influence attitudes on the death penalty, that is his prerogative.  Many novels have been written as social commentary and have impacted opinions and the course of events.  But, I am curious as to how it will be received.

For my part, I will not be boycotting future novels by Grisham..biased or not.  He has a real gift for telling a story.  I fully expect Borders will again send me advance notice, and I will prepay and pick the next book up as soon as I can get to the mall.  Then, no matter what else is going on in my life….with the possible exception of being on my deathbed….I will read it within 48 hours or less of getting my hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment