Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I love my house, but....

I love my house....all eleven rooms and four full bathrooms of Victorian charm with 10 foot ceilings on the first floor and 9 foot ceilings on the second floor. I love the two fireplaces, prism glass windows, built in buffet in the dining room, leaded glass doors on the book cabinets, claw foot tubs in two of the bathrooms and hardwood floors.
I love the fact that when we moved in 33 years ago we had all of the plumbing and wiring updated and some areas modernized without losing too much of the home's character. The two bathtubs that aren't old are a tub with jets and one that is extra deep for "steeping."
But...
Two people do not need four bathrooms. It is expensive to heat a house this size with such high ceilings. It is a lot of effort to clean this enormous place. I don't want my husband climbing ladders to change storm windows anymore.
So...
We are going to move into something smaller and more realistic for people who are card-carrying members of the Medicare generation. Our purchase offer on a smaller home has been accepted. Now we just have to figure out how to get rid of the collection of "stuff" that results from not moving in over three decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment